


Genre: Fantasy
With his blue-streaked hair and delight in dyeing his breakfast blue, Eric is somewhat of an unusual goth kid. Add the fact that he has a crush on a superhero called Magnifiman, who keeps rescuing him from the villain Devil's Trill, and you have a very peculiar goth kid indeed. Sandwiched between the battles of a superhero and a villain, Eric Plath has no choice but to comply with their whims. As if that wasn't worry enough for him, his best friend Peter starts revealing feelings for him; this incurs the jealousy of their other best friend, Althea, who has a crush on Peter. More complications arise as Eric starts finding out secrets that both his best friends are hiding from him. Despite the presence of superheroes, villains, and special powers, the novel is narrated by a normal human ("normal" used loosely) who has the luck of being placed in the center of it all. This isn't merely a superheroes-versus-villains novel; the story mainly revolves around Eric's and Peter's relationship, which becomes more complex and extraordinary when Eric discovers Peter's powers.
Hayden Thorne's Masks: Rise of Heroes certainly packs a powerful superhero punch. Frankly, this was a startling book – in more good ways than bad; it is unlike anything I've ever read. Eric's voice is sophisticated but lucid; he's not only believable and lifelike, he brings life to the other characters as well as another side to superheroes. Eric's cheeky responses to the Devil's Trill cracked me up; I love how he was unfazed by the villain after being stuck in danger and rescued so many times. He might not be considered an awe-inspiring superhero with incredible talents, but I believe he was a hero in his own way. I found a few ironies within this novel, which somehow made it truer, since I believe that life is ironic itself. The ending still leaves a bit of suspense and unanswered questions lying around, which gets you pumped up for the next book in the series. I know I'm looking forward to it.
(Note: This was also reviewed for Book Divas - CollectiveX.)
Hayden Thorne's Masks: Rise of Heroes certainly packs a powerful superhero punch. Frankly, this was a startling book – in more good ways than bad; it is unlike anything I've ever read. Eric's voice is sophisticated but lucid; he's not only believable and lifelike, he brings life to the other characters as well as another side to superheroes. Eric's cheeky responses to the Devil's Trill cracked me up; I love how he was unfazed by the villain after being stuck in danger and rescued so many times. He might not be considered an awe-inspiring superhero with incredible talents, but I believe he was a hero in his own way. I found a few ironies within this novel, which somehow made it truer, since I believe that life is ironic itself. The ending still leaves a bit of suspense and unanswered questions lying around, which gets you pumped up for the next book in the series. I know I'm looking forward to it.
(Note: This was also reviewed for Book Divas - CollectiveX.)




No comments:
Post a Comment