Thursday, August 7, 2008

100 Girls by Adam Gallardo & Todd Demong


Genre: Young Adult/Comics

When Sylvia Mark starts manifesting super strength and agility, she has no explanation for it. To add to that, she keeps having terrifying nightmares. Not realizing her own strength, she accidentally breaks the arm of a mean girl who has been picking on her. Having to face suspension and realizing her foster parents' disappointment in her, she decides to run away from home. However, she ends up tangled in a failed kidnapping and meets a girl who looks just like her but with a different talent. As Sylvia continues on her adventure, she learns of a secret agency that may able to explain her strange powers. But can these people be trusted?

I'm not a fan of comics, so I wasn't sure what to expect while reading 100 Girls. The blood and gore was really distracting; I couldn't believe how many people Sylvia killed. Was it really necessary? For a thirteen year old, she is really strong in both personality and physique – too strong, in fact. Feminine strength should have been a redeeming quality, but Sylvia was too wild and murderous for me to like. The story also felt too rushed; it was at times confusing to read. Sometimes, I felt like I didn't even know what was going on. As harsh as it is, the antagonists of the story almost didn't seem like such bad guys compared to Sylvia.

As far as the story goes, I was shocked to learn that Sylvia had been designed to be the ultimate weapon along with ninety-nine other girls – well, that explains the violence.

1 comment:

Lenore Appelhans said...

13 year old killer? Even for a comic that's a bit much...