Genre: Fantasy
As we all know perfectly well, real life simply isn't a fairy tale. Not everyone gets a happy ending. But what if we abandon this mindset and believe they are as true as they come? What if everything we ever learned about The Three Little Pigs, Snow White, Cinderella, etc. were true? Crazy, huh? That's what Sabrina Grimm initially thought when her so-called grandmother told her that fairy tales are true-to-life historical accounts and that their family is related to the famous Grimm brothers. After all, Sabrina doesn't have a reason to believe her grandmother. She and her sister Daphne were deemed orphans after their parents mysteriously disappeared, and her father had told her before that her grandmother was dead. So when a woman claiming to be their grandmother adopts the siblings, it's no wonder that Sabrina is an extreme skeptic. It's not until Sabrina encountered a real giant that she began to believe her seemingly lunatic grandmother. Upon this realization, Sabrina and Daphne must oblige with their fate as the Grimm sisters and rescue the town.
Like most normal kids, I grew up reading fairy tales; however, I never outgrew them. I always love books with a new remix on classic fairy tales, and this novel did not disappoint. The blend of mystery within fairy tale makes the story so much more intriguing. Characters I know and love each have a different side to them, making them all the more complicated and realistic. Buckley cleverly and creatively introduces new characters (like the Grimm sisters) while adding to the already known fairy tale characters and creatures. Sabrina makes an exceptional protagonist. She's only twelve years old, but she's already taking care of her sister so well. She's smart and cunning; she always knows how to perfectly run away from the crazy foster homes she's placed in. One of her most distinctive qualities – as well as my favorite quality about her – is that she's extremely skeptical in the beginning. This made a lot of room for humor as she's never afraid to speak her mind. There aren't many books that can have me laughing out loud, but The Fairy-Tale Detectives is definitely one of them.
Note: This was also reviewed for Book Divas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I loved these books!! They were so much fun as I too haven't grown out of fairy tales.
I am always looking for new spins on fairy tales so thanks for pointing this out!
Nice review. I've seen this in the stores and was quite curious to read it. It does sound like a fun, neat twist on fairy tales. I've been meaning to read more fairy tales with a twist kind of books...and even read the actual Grimms Brother stories.
I think i'll check this one out as soon as I can.
-Lauren
Post a Comment